Burlington is committed to being a responsible steward of our natural environment by focusing our efforts on responsible energy consumption as well as controls of hazardous chemicals and waste generated by our operation. Our focus is on managing our environmental impact, educating, and engaging our associates and working with our vendor communities to address these critical issues.
Sustainability 2.0 is our environmental sustainability strategy, developed to execute authentic environmental action in support of the Burlington 2.0 corporate strategy: to grow responsibly while delivering value to our customers. It outlines how we will:
- set goals to focus and align sustainability efforts;
- increase our use of renewable energy to mitigate emissions from growth;
- educate and engage internal partners on environmental sustainability;
- enhance Burlington’s reputation by incorporating sustainability into the Caring Culture
- partner with non-merchandise suppliers that have environmental products and services whenever possible.
In assessing our exposure to climate-related risks, we recognize that climate change poses physical, financial, and reputational risks to our business. In a proactive effort to mitigate these risks, we seek to harness opportunities that will drive both cost efficiencies and GHG reductions and strengthen our reputation as an environmentally responsible company.
This Environmental Sustainability Policy affirms our commitment to responsibly manage the environmental impact associated with our business operations. We commit to the following climate targets and sustainability actions plans.
Climate Related Goals
With national and international regulatory consensus growing around climate risk management, governance, and reporting (including SASB, the Climate Disclosure Standards Board, and TCFD - see our CSR/ESG Reporting Page for most recent indices), at Burlington we strive to regularly conduct an analysis of multiple frameworks, standards, benchmarks, and historical data trends. This work has enabled us to set two climate-related targets:
- Reduce our Scope 1 and 2 GHG Emissions 60% by 2030 (per operating square foot compared to our 2016 baseline), and
- Achieve 20% renewable energy consumption by 2030 (compared to overall electricity consumption)
- Ensure the responsible use of energy via the addition of efficiency measures, positive consumption behaviors and investments in more efficient equipment.
- Increase our use of renewable energy in the communities where we operate to decrease emissions.
- Minimize and properly manage waste by reducing, donating, and recycling waste streams generated by our business operations.
- Partner with non-merchandise suppliers that have environmental products and services whenever possible.
Track and Measure
- Set specific and measurable environmental sustainability goals that support our strategy and uphold the commitments outlined in this policy.
- Track and measure our environmental sustainability performance using our carbon accounting and environmental data management system.
- Monitor and comply with local, state, and national laws and regulations pertaining to our operations.
Educate, Engage and Communicate
- Educate, motivate, and engage associates to support our environmental sustainability goals through participation in days of awareness, training, and volunteerism.
- Engage meaningfully with external stakeholders including our customers, suppliers, investors, and non-government organizations.
- Communicate progress on our environmental sustainability goals internally and externally to all relevant stakeholders.